3/18/10

Three Quick Updates

1. Cuy is juicy. It does not, for the record, taste like chicken. More like duck, I think. However, there is not much meat to be had, and the presentation is fairly appetite-killing. Google image "cuy" if you're curious, or just imagine a creature disarmingly reminiscent of a rat lying dead on a plate, crisped eyes and claws still intact. (If that last sentence grossed you out, please don't run a google search. Just take my word for it: Cuy is much tastier than it looks.)

2. I'm taking a workshop with Yuyachkani this week. It has been really great and is deserving of several posts. That will come. I will only mention that yesterday I saw a traditional Peruvian Resurrection dance that featured a mostly-naked Jesus playing the spoons (well, a similiar instrument, to be fair) and wearing a single rainbow-print glove. Who knew that Peru was so queer friendly?

3. It looks like Maleto is going to stay with us indefinitely.

More soon!

3 comments:

  1. I'm in the library and it was really hard to stifle my laughter while reading about the traditional Peruvian Resurrection dance. You are so funny! What an awesome thing to experience. Also, I really wish you hadn't recommended googling the image of cuy because the first thing that popped up was a picture of them disemboweling a guinea pig. Now I'm not so sure about trying one. Maybe if I cover its face with a napkin while eating it.

    Lauren.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listen, Lauren. I tried to warn you. And yeah, I think the napkin's a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waiting for an appointment at the mac store-- catching up on you. This is an amazing image. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete